The “Blue Box” Kraft mac and cheese often gets a bad rep. It may be the dried noodles, the powdered cheese sauce, or the addition of Velveeta, but often it’s the only thing a Brooklyn Bitch can afford when a cheesy craving hits. However, we’re often way too poor to be a food snob (making us appreciate more gourmet versions from a distance, i.e., through the tv screen while watching Food Network), and have turned to the classic favorite dinner.
Luckily, we’ve become quite crafty when it comes to upgrading staple foods that are usually better served on the shelf, gathering dust until the arrival of an unexpected hungry (or just stoned) friend.
All you need:
1 boxKraft mac and cheese
1 ½ c shredded cheddar cheese
½ c sour cream
¼ tsp ground red pepper
6 crushed Ritz crackers
1 tbs butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Prepare Mac and Cheese dinner as directed on the package.
- Stir in one cup of the Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and pepper.
- Spoon into a greased baking dish and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of Cheddar cheese.
- Combine the melted butter and cracker crumbs and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let dish stand for five minutes before serving.
If you’ve got a suggestion to make Blue Box taste more homemade, we’d love to hear it! Send us your upgraded version at email@example.com, or Tweet us @bbonabudget!