Okay, so it was part of a Mama Bitch lecture after she discovered bags and bags of discounted Halloween candy from Duane Reade filling my shelves where soup and spaghetti used to be. A girl just can’t help it if she happens to hit an unexpected Urban Outfitters sale while walking to the subway.
We have a hard time believing Mama Bitch would put up the same fight if we happened to make the peanut butter cups ourselves. Who says Reese’s should be saved for Halloween? Here’s a great way to make your own recipe for a price comparable to Duane Reade post-Halloween clearance prices.
All you need:
1 package of semisweet chocolate chips
¾ c all-natural peanut butter (Skippy is all right, but the hippie stuff just makes you feel better about what you’re about to create)
½ c confectionery sugar
- Fill a muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- Put half the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and microwave for one minute on HIGH.
- Take them out and stir. Continue to microwave in 30-second increments until they are stirred completely smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate evenly among cupcake papers. Try to mostly coat the sides of the papers, creating a pocket for the peanut butter.
- Refrigerate chocolate-filled muffin pan for 15-20 minutes, or until firm.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and peanut butter in a small bowl and whisk together. Leave at room temperature while chocolate is hardening.
- Distribute peanut butter mixture in each shell.
- Melt remaining chocolate chips in the microwave and spoon over peanut butter, spreading chocolate to the edge of the liners.
- Refrigerate cups for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm.
- Enjoy your homemade faux-Reeses confection!
- Add an extra fifteen minutes to next day’s work-out.
Totally Bitchin' Throwback: Chinatown on a Budget