The weather has been so temperamental lately- sweaters and hats one day, shortie shorts and flats the next. I’m personally so sick of having to either switch on the AC as soon as I get to my office in the morning, or otherwise reach for my fingerless gloves so I can preserve my circulation as I furiously type emails and schedule meetings.
On a particularly blustery weekend during a freak snowstorm, my sister Z and I found ourselves barricaded inside my parent’s house with a horde of teenage boys and girls. Not interested in playing make out games or indulging in Taylor-Swift-inspired karaoke, Zoe and I locked ourselves in the kitchen, determined to whip up the most delicious hot chocolate that has ever been consumed. Not only did we- and Max Brenner- hit the nail on the head with this creamy, indulgent, thick chocolately treat, but suffice to say our entire snowbound evening was saved.
All you need:
1 1/2 tbs cornstarch
3 ½ c whole milk
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate (we used a cup of chocolate chips)
½ c sugar
2 egg yolks
1 ½ tsp vanilla
Whipped cream, obviously
1. Heat ½ c milk in a medium bowl. Add 1 ½ tbs cornstarch and whisk. Add egg yolks and ½ c sugar. Whisk together and set aside.
2. Bring 2 c milk to a slow simmer in a saucepan.
3. Add egg yolk to simmering milk.
4. Whisk until mixture comes to a full boil- approx. 3 min. Add vanilla.
5. Whisk until vanilla is fully incorporated and becomes a custard-like consistency. Meanwhile boil 1 c milk in another saucepan.
6. Strain the custard through a wire sieve or a strainer. Use a fork to mix chocolate into custard.
7. Once additional cup of milk has boiled, add chocolate custard. Whisk until even consistency is attained.
8. Pour into a hug mug. Add whipped cream.
9. Dance around in sugar-spurned bliss.
Totally Bitchin’ Throwback: Make-It-Yourself: Breakfast Sandwich
Bitches Beyond: Weekend Wish List